Saturday, April 9, 2011

About the blog / Who am I?

Well, here's my first post on this new little blog.

First things first: Who am I?

I'm blogging anonymously, so I can't get too detailed on that question. So what can I tell you?

I'm a woman in my mid-20s. I'm a physical scientist. (Physical as opposed to biological. Think physics and chemistry, not biology and medicine.) I'm a U.S. American, and a west coaster for life. I'm a feminist. I'm pro-choice. I'm scared of climate change but I'm not scared of vaccines. I love my family. I don't have any children.

I've never seen a birth in person but I want to be a midwife. I've been fascinated by pregnancy and birth from a very young age. By the time I was 7, I could define a zygote and a blastocyst, and I had strong feelings about using the words "embryo" and "fetus" accurately. Adults always told me that I should be a doctor because I was so smart, but I never wanted to be a doctor. Still don't. The fact that I could work with pregnant and birthing women without being a doctor (or a nurse) only occurred to me in the last few years. Since that moment I haven't been able to get the thought of becoming a midwife out of my mind.

Okay, enough of that. I'm bored of talking about me.

So what's the point of this blog?

I'm not sure yet! To start with, it probably won't be terribly active. Right now I'm working on reading through lots of birth and midwifery-related books, so I'll be posting reviews of those. (Next up: Pushed by Jennifer Block. Loving it so far; I'm about 60 pages in.) I'll probably also post about my thoughts and research as I look into possibly becoming a midwife. I'm still trying to decide if I'm totally crazy or not. I do hope that this blog will become a record of my journey to becoming a midwife, but we'll see!

For now, if anyone stumbles across this blog, the most useful thing is probably the "My Blog List" section over on the right. Lots of great blogs there by homebirth midwives, nurse-midwives, nurses, and other people. I read a lot of blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment